YOU CALL THIS DEMOCRACY?
How to fix our government and deliver power to the people
* Junior Library Guild selection *
* Presidents who take office without winning the popular vote.
* Voting districts drawn by politicians for their own benefit.
* Millions of citizens – young, old, poor, people of color, women – blocked from voting.
* Money money money wielding more influence than the wishes of ordinary Americans.
We think we live in a democracy. One person, one vote. But how democratic is our government really? The hard truth is that political power is not shared equally among all citizens. It shouldn’t matter if you are rich, poor, urban, rural, Democrat, Republican, male, female, old, or young when you check off a voting box. But it does.
Consider the issues you care about: The quality of our schools. Health care. Immigration. Gun violence. Jobs. The environment. If we want to fix any of the problems facing our nation, we have to fix our democracy.
So read this book.
And then get to work.
Our future depends on it.
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
March 31, 2020